Monday, November 13, 2006

Year of Color/Red

It's Monday so I have to post at least one pic of Jerzie Shea. This week she is really getting good at sucking her thumb. She was sucking it in the last sonogram before she was born and has tried ever since. She would get it in once in awhile and usually pulled it right out. Today she even got it in her mouth while she was on her back.
This is my great grandfathers night shirt.Pretty fancy isn't it?
This quilt is an heirloom that I got because I am the oldest granddaughter. It was made by my grandfather's grandmother. He said she had to hold the fabric very close to her eyes so she could see. Glaucoma runs in the family so we think she had it.

If you enlarge this pic you can see the tiny stitches especially in the red fabric. I understand some people can date a quilt by the fabric used. I would love to do that sometime. I'm sorry to say that some of the fabric is deteriorating.
This is the backside. All those tiny stitches fascinate me!




5 comments:

Carole Burant said...

What a precious little baby...my oldest son Shawn sucked his thumb and he ended up needing braces...arrrggghhhh! lol That quilt is simply stunning and what a treasure for you to have!! I admire people who know how to quilt, it's something I've never attempted. I prefer to just admire the finished project! lol

Laurie and Chris said...

Mom ~ When you said that the color was red this week I couldn't think of anything red in your house. I guess I haven't been in the up stairs in a very long time!!! The picture of Jerzie is very cute I love that it looks like she is peeking at you.

Susie said...

What a cute little thumbsucker. Both my children needed braces, but only one sucked a thumb. I'm not sure there's a connection. Cute nonetheless!!
The quilt is a beautiful treasure :)

kansasrose said...

Hi Jean! What an adorable baby! My youngest girl was a thumbsucker...so was I! Thanks for stopping by my blog...I'm so glad you did. You have such lovely antiques. I have an Aunt Jean and she is a farm wife and makes the BEST rhubarb pies on the planet. You are the first New Yorker too! I'll be back to read.

Lena said...

What a sweet photo of baby.
That nightshirt is wonderful. I can't imagine any of my guys wearing something like that, but I would love it!
Your quilt is beautiful. I grew up in a family of quilters and truly appreciate what works of art they are. There are a couple of very good books out there that show pictures of old fabric swatches and date them. I bet that you could find them through your library system.
Hope you have a great day!