Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Grapes!

One of my favorite things about autumn is concord grapes. I am fortunate to live within 30 miles of an area that has miles of vineyards.
I am even luckier than that because these beautiful purple grapes are growing on my property, way back in a forgotten corner.I don't really know if the plant is planted on my land or not but the grapes are. There is only one little problem.
The object in the right hand corner is the roof of my shed. The wood in the top right corner is a telephone pole.Those yummy looking grapes are actually growing on a telephone line. These vines have been here as long as I have and I have never seen any grapes. Wouldn't you know when it finally produces I can't get to the fruit!
I'm sure the birds will enjoy them. My son and daughter-in-law bought me a grape plant and I planted it on the corner of the shed behind the ladder. I'm going to build a trellis on the back of the shed. At least we know they are in a good spot and should produce.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You might not want to try and harves those grapes...LOL Great photos.

Donna said...

Too bad you can't reach those grapes!

Hugs,
Donna

Carole Burant said...

Get some handsome firemen to bring over their firetruck and use their ladder to reach those grapes. Don't you love how helpful I am??? hehe xoxo

Susie said...

I love the color of those grapes! They'd make good juice or jelly.
Grapes aren't quite ready to harvest here yet.
xo

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I love your blog lay out. So colorful, and so approriate for fall. Too bad about those grapes!!! Your son and his wife are very thoughtful for getting you a grape plant. SOmeday you'll ahve grapes to enjoy without worrying about power lines :-)

Suzanne said...

Ladder anyone? I think I'd shimmy up that telephone pole for some of those, which would make for a great post. I imagine a subsequent post would have me in a hospital bed in traction, but it might be worth it. Sometimes in life good things are just barely out of reach. An well, the birds will be well fed.

(Jean - I sent you a couple of emails in response to your email regarding the tote. I'll be visiting my son & family for a week, so we'll connect once I get back!)